Here at Jimble we understand that asking the right questions will lead to a better understanding. A better understanding accompanies improved communication and trust. Here are some frequently asked questions from companies and individuals when considering a relocation prior to our stewardship.

For Companies

What is Employee Relocation?

Employee relocation or global mobility serves to transfer employees, their families, or entire departments of an organization to a new location. As relocation is classed as an employee benefit, the relocation function is usually administered by an organization’s HR department, with much of the hands on support outsourced to a relocation management company.

Should My Company offer relocation packages?

Relocation packages are valuable recruiting tools. As a company you want to be known as a place that values great employees; an employer that takes care of its people and pays for performance. You don’t want to attract entitled workers looking to take advantage of your benefits – like most things in recruiting there are no easy answers. It comes down to your company needs and image.  When creating relocation packages assess the risks and costs – weigh the pros and cons – and be flexible.

What does an international employee relocation consist of?

This is where HR departments can find it useful to outsource their programs to a relocation management company that has local, on-the-ground knowledge and experience to support the employee through the maze. Here is a list of typical elements that can be included in an international relocation package or policy. 

  • Immigration
  • Temporary accommodation
  • Area information guides
  • Orientation
  • Home search
  • School search
  • Furniture & appliance rental
  • Moving
  • Tenancy management
  • Travel management
  • Expense management
  • Cultural training
  • Language training
  • Departure services

How can I hire a Non-EU employee?

Looking to employ a foreign national? You will be the sponsor for this employee or employees. A sponsor is a person or organization having an interest in the residence of a third-country national in the Netherlands. Jimble will assist your company in becoming recognized for such sponsorships with the IND (Dutch Immigration & Naturalization Service).  

What are employee departure services?

Proper departure services are equally important to that of a newly relocating employee program. Moving can be an incredibly frustrating and stressful experience, Jimble will help your employees to move with as little stress as possible, enabling them to leave the country worry free.

We can assist you with the following:

  • Return of your security deposit
  • Termination of lease agreements
  • Assistance with organizing check-out inspections
  • Pet relocation
  • Final cleaning
  • Termination of utilities and other home related contracts

How can I determine my highly skilled migrants salaries?

  • It is pivotal that your company’s salaries for non-EU highly skilled migrants always meet the requirement. This also applies for part time employees. Jimble advises to frequently check the IND website as salary requirement changes occur annually. Still need advice? Allow one of our professionals to help better understand the intricacies of the wage requirements by scheduling a video call.

What are the salary requirements for the 30% ruling?

The 30% ruling is an income tax advantage for highly skilled migrants working in the Netherlands. It means that 30% of your employees salary can qualify tax-free. To benefit from the 30% ruling, you must meet certain requirements. 

2021 salary requirements for 30% ruling

  • Minimum taxable salary at 70%: 38.961 euros
  • For employees under 30 with a master’s degree: Minimum taxable salary at 70%: 29.616 euros

What are some general employer relocation benefits?

  • Organizations offer a range of benefits managed in-house, such as cost-of-living allowances, hardship allowances, and assignment bonuses. These are great benefits aimed toward your employee.
  • Benefits for effective modern companies are those with a talented and diverse workforce. Recruiting and retaining people with proper experience, skills, and diversity, who bring their unique perspectives from their own cultural, geographic, and personal backgrounds. When you expand your search to a worldwide talent pool, it will help you to improve the quality of the candidates to choose from. 
  • International relocation is an attractive facet of a career at any company, and is good for the company as a whole. The study also found significantly higher rates of organizational loyalty, motivation and engagement among employees who have been relocated abroad.

For individuals

I am moving to Amsterdam, what do I need and can Jimble help me?

Exciting times and congratulations! After an intro call we will explain all steps. Most important are; you will need a social security number (BSN) and a Dutch bank account to start working. A residence permit is needed if you are a non EU passport holder. We schedule all and join you to the appointments.

What documents do I need to register and to obtain the BSN number?

You need an address to register on when you are planning to stay longer then 4 months. If agreed, it is possible to use the company address as a temporary registration address. For EU citizens it is mandatory to show an original copy of your birth certificate. Depending on the place of issue and used language this document might need a legalisation and/or translation. Please provide more details so we can provide you the correct information upfront.

What insurance(s) do I need?

Once you are registered it is mandatory to have a Dutch health insurance. We do not have a public health insurance, but several “private” health insurance companies to choose from. Please be well informed as different companies focus on different aspects of health issues.

A liability insurance covers you for any damage to third parties. For example; you are off to the office riding your typical Dutch bike and you scratch someone’s car. No need to argue or pay cash for the damage. Just call your insurance company and they will take care of the rest. Good thing to exchange contact/insurance details before heading on. The liability insurance is not mandatory by law, but is highly recommended as over 90% of all residents have one.

I am looking for new apartment/house, can Jimble help me find my dream place?

This is what we love to do and are good at.
We work closely with established and trustworthy real estate agents. Also having access to unlisted properties is a huge advantage for you. We will plan and join you to all viewings, negotiate the best possible rent/contract and of course review the contract.

Can Jimble help setting up my gas, electricity and water connection?

Yes, after the key handover we will set up all utilities. We can even make sure you will have internet/TV up and running from the day you move in!

How much will I be paying for utilities?

Depending on the size of the apartment and your own usage the utilities can be between 100 and 200 euro. TV/internet plans are between 35 and 70 euro depending on channels and download speed.

How much is the rental deposit?

The deposit is used to cover possible future damages to the apartment. Usually the deposit is equal to 1-month rent when renting unfurnished and equal to 2 months of rent when renting furnished.

What is a diplomatic clause?

The diplomatic clause gives the tenant the right to terminate the contract prematurely, due to work related reasons like moving because of work or termination of your work contract.


We highly recommend to include this clause in your contract model, A as it gives the tenant the right to terminate the contract prematurely within the first 12 months but only for work related reasons like; termination of the work contract or relocate for more than 50km from the current work location. Activation from the start is common, but it does occur that the landlord opts for a minimum term. During this period the tenant is not allowed to use the diplomatic clause.

Are there local taxes to be paid

When you are registered at your final address you will annually receive the following taxes.

City tax Amsterdam(2022)
approx. €331,- for a single household and €441,- for a multiple person household

Water tax Amsterdam(2022)
approx. €180,99 for a single household and €296,45 for a multiple person household

What kind of rental contract(s) are commonly used in the Netherlands?

There are 2 types of contract that are mostly used also known as “model A” and “model B”

Model A
This is a 12 months contract, which will be automatically extended and turned into an indefinite contract.

Model B
This is a Max 24 months contract which has an end date, but can be terminated each month from the start by the tenant

I want to buy a property, can Jimble help me out?

Yes we can! We will guide you through the challenging process of finding and buying the right property for the right price in this heated market. Please contact us for more information?