Your international relocation company for the Netherlands



Should Documents Be Translated as Part of a Relocation?

By | Expats, Traveling

When traveling, one must issue a verified translation of any of the supporting documents that aren’t in English or the official language of their destination country.

Some of the most common documents that require a translation prior to traveling to a different country include:

  • Birth Certificates (the most known document that requires translation.)
  • Marriage Certificates
  • Divorce Decrees (if you have been married in the past.)
  • Police reports
  • Bank statements

In this guide, we will talk about everything you need to know concerning getting immigration documents, how to translate them, the translation fees, and who is certified to translate the papers. 

Who’s Qualified To Translate a Foreign-Language Paper into English (or any preferred language)?

If a person finds themselves skilled in English and the paper’s primary language, e.g. Chinese, they can act as the translator in some cases.

If by any chance you’re a multilingual person and you attempt to translate your travel documents on your own, you’ll realize that it actually takes a lot of time and effort to research some of the terms and what their exact translations are in the target language. Even so, you may actually end up needing your documents to be retranslated by a company that offers professional translation services because most government agencies across the globe might not accept documents that are translated by unauthorized personnel. 

Therefore, it’s always good to seek assistance from an expert who offers translation services, a friend, or a relative with such expertise to avoid any hindrances or challenges with any of your legal document translations.

Other U.S. delegates and embassies also restrict admissible translators to specific agencies. Ensure you confirm particular demands of the U.S. embassy in your region before commissioning a service.

How Much Would a Translation Cost?

Suppose you lack a friend or a close person who is qualified to perform your translations without charges. In that case, prices will vary per location, service agent, the number of papers, and how complicated the documents are.

Tip It is sometimes easier and more cost-efficient to translate documents in their country of origin. Always check the fee estimations before deciding whether to translate before your move or after.

Understanding More About Certification

When you make arrangements to travel to a foreign nation, you may have to present essential papers showing personal information and data about your trip to the authorities of that country. Consequently, related documents must be in the official language of the host country where you‘re targeting your relocation. If this is not the case, you will have to get your papers translated and afterward authenticated.

For a paper to be classified as verified, the individual or agency responsible for the translation must also provide a formal letter indicating the following;

  • They are competent in translating the paper as they’re skilled in English (or X language) and the documents’ first dialect.
  • That they translated the document perfectly and wholly to the best of their capacities.

The letter should also contain the following data concerning the translator:

  1. Full name
  2. Address
  3. Signature
  4. The date the letter was issued 

In addition to the information included in the letter, the translated papers must also be authenticated to warrant their efficiency and reliability. 

In Conclusion

Please note that it’s generally considered improper to translate your own documents. A conflict of interest may arise that could impact the information translated. On the other hand, most government agencies need you to provide a translation conducted by a sworn translator who is authorized to certify your documents. Even if you’re a sworn translator, you can’t submit translations of your own documents due to a possible conflict of interest.

Dutch public transport

Dutch Public Transport System: Everything You Need to Know

By | Traveling

One of the main questions we are being asked by our expat clients from day one of their arrival to the Netherlands is about Dutch public transportation, which is why we have compiled all the relevant information regarding public transport travelling, tickets and discounts, as well as the top practical tips for you in this complete guide. Read up on the most important things to bear in mind when travelling by public transport in the Netherlands.

The Netherlands has an excellent and reliable public transport system which can take you from A to B with no hassle. Train, bus, tram, metro, ferry and -of course- public bikes, are all at your disposal. 

1. Train

Are you looking for a comfortable, fast and modern means to get around in the Netherlands? Then the Dutch railway will not let you down. You can visit beautiful landscapes and explore hidden gems throughout the country by taking the train. Have you found the perfect accommodation in Amsterdam, but your work is in Rotterdam? Don’t worry! The train can take you from Amsterdam Central to Rotterdam in no more than 40 minutes. The locals are also used to travelling to neighbouring cities for work.

2. Bus, tram and metro

Wherever you are in the Netherlands, the bus services with their great connections will take you easily and affordably to your destination. The tram is the best way not only to reach your destination but also to enjoy some sightseeing along the way! Tram services usually start at 6 am and run until midnight. In Amsterdam and Rotterdam, 2 of the biggest Dutch cities, in addition to bus and tram, you can also take the metro. The metro is the fastest way to commute in the city centre and nearby areas. You can also take your bicycle with you on the train as well as the metro, usually outside peak hours, and you will need a bicycle day ticket for this. Be aware that you cannot place your bike anywhere but there are indicated areas on the train and metro with the relevant label.

3. Ferry and water taxi

In a country full of canals, it makes perfect sense that the Netherlands also provides ferry services. In Amsterdam, you can take the ferry from Central Station to Noord (North) sailing over the IJ river completely free of charge and you can take your bike or motorcycle with you! Have you ever heard of water taxis? If you find yourself in Rotterdam and you want a very fast and fun way to get around then try the water taxi! This is a paid option and fares may vary. 

4. Public bikes

You cannot be in the Netherlands and not have public bikes at your disposal. The OV-fiets with almost 300 locations in the Netherlands at stations, bus or metro stops, allows you to rent a bike and go wherever you want like a local. You can rent an OV-fiets only if you own a personal OV-chipkaart (read below).

5. OV-chipkaart

When using the Dutch public transport, you need to own an OV-chipkaart. There are 3 types of OV-chipkaarten you can opt for: single-use, anonymous and personal. 

The single-use card is mainly for tourists and those who do not travel frequently, and it has limited validity. You can use it on bus, tram and metro but you will need a separate single-use OV card for the train. This type of card costs more than the other two, which is why we only recommend it to short-term visitors. 

For those of you who commute daily to work or travel within the country regularly, an anonymous OV card is a must. It allows you to use all means of public transport and it is a more affordable option. In order to use it, you need to charge credit to your card and you can do so either at a service desk or a ticket vending machine found at most stations. Please note that in order to use this card on the train, you need to charge it with at least 20 euros, which can vary depending on your route, and you can do so at an NS ticket vending machine (yellow). 

If you want to buy single-use or anonymous OV-chipkaart you can do so at the service desk or look for ticket vending machines with the pink OV-chipkaart logo. 

Finally, you can also apply for a personal OV-chipkaart which costs  7,50 euros and is valid for 5 years. The personal card has your personal details and photo, and you do not need to charge it with credit. One benefit of the personal card is that you can block it in case of loss or theft, which is not possible with the other 2 types. With your personal OV card you can also benefit from various different discounts you can choose from! You can always ask our consultants which option is the best for you.

Important tip: Don’t forget to check in and out as you will be charged a penalty or your card will be blocked! If such thing happens, you can request a refund here.

Do you need a personal public transport planner? With the 9292 app, you can plan all your trips, choose your destination and the app will show you up-to-date travel information for all public transport in the Netherlands as well as alternative travel advice and many more. 

Do you have more questions regarding Dutch public transportation, costs and discounts? Do you need personal assistance in your relocation process? Jimble’s experienced relocation specialists can support you and your family from A to Z in a completely stress-free way. Head over to our contact page and schedule an appointment with one of our skilled experts to discuss all your questions extensively.

Further reading:

Looking for a home? Need help with your employees? Just let us know how we can help out.

Contact us Frequently asked questions +31(0)20 846 6002