Your international relocation company for the Netherlands

When traveling, one must issue a verified translation of any of the supporting documents that aren’t in English or the official language of their destination country.

Some of the most common documents that require a translation prior to traveling to a different country include:

  • Birth Certificates (the most known document that requires translation.)
  • Marriage Certificates
  • Divorce Decrees (if you have been married in the past.)
  • Police reports
  • Bank statements

In this guide, we will talk about everything you need to know concerning getting immigration documents, how to translate them, the translation fees, and who is certified to translate the papers. 

Who’s Qualified To Translate a Foreign-Language Paper into English (or any preferred language)?

If a person finds themselves skilled in English and the paper’s primary language, e.g. Chinese, they can act as the translator in some cases.

If by any chance you’re a multilingual person and you attempt to translate your travel documents on your own, you’ll realize that it actually takes a lot of time and effort to research some of the terms and what their exact translations are in the target language. Even so, you may actually end up needing your documents to be retranslated by a company that offers professional translation services because most government agencies across the globe might not accept documents that are translated by unauthorized personnel. 

Therefore, it’s always good to seek assistance from an expert who offers translation services, a friend, or a relative with such expertise to avoid any hindrances or challenges with any of your legal document translations.

Other U.S. delegates and embassies also restrict admissible translators to specific agencies. Ensure you confirm particular demands of the U.S. embassy in your region before commissioning a service.

How Much Would a Translation Cost?

Suppose you lack a friend or a close person who is qualified to perform your translations without charges. In that case, prices will vary per location, service agent, the number of papers, and how complicated the documents are.

Tip It is sometimes easier and more cost-efficient to translate documents in their country of origin. Always check the fee estimations before deciding whether to translate before your move or after.

Understanding More About Certification

When you make arrangements to travel to a foreign nation, you may have to present essential papers showing personal information and data about your trip to the authorities of that country. Consequently, related documents must be in the official language of the host country where you‘re targeting your relocation. If this is not the case, you will have to get your papers translated and afterward authenticated.

For a paper to be classified as verified, the individual or agency responsible for the translation must also provide a formal letter indicating the following;

  • They are competent in translating the paper as they’re skilled in English (or X language) and the documents’ first dialect.
  • That they translated the document perfectly and wholly to the best of their capacities.

The letter should also contain the following data concerning the translator:

  1. Full name
  2. Address
  3. Signature
  4. The date the letter was issued 

In addition to the information included in the letter, the translated papers must also be authenticated to warrant their efficiency and reliability. 

In Conclusion

Please note that it’s generally considered improper to translate your own documents. A conflict of interest may arise that could impact the information translated. On the other hand, most government agencies need you to provide a translation conducted by a sworn translator who is authorized to certify your documents. Even if you’re a sworn translator, you can’t submit translations of your own documents due to a possible conflict of interest.

Looking for a home? Need help with your employees? Just let us know how we can help out.

Contact us Frequently asked questions +31(0)20 846 6002