You’ve found the perfect employees abroad and want to start working with them sooner rather than later. But before you can fly them over, you’ll need to figure out what kinds of work permit you have to obtain for them. The type of permit and/or visa they’ll need will depend on how long you are planning to hire your employees, what they are hired for, and where they are coming from.

Work permits and visas in the Netherlands

To obtain different types of permits and visas, you need to apply through IND, Immigration and Naturalization Services. There are different visas and permits required for different cases. Luckily, the official Dutch government website offers a questionnaire that will provide all the information needed for each case. Here, we will highlight the common scenarios.

Less than 90 days in the Netherlands

Are you planning to hire your employees for less than 90 days? If you are hiring an employee who does not possess EU, EEA, or Swiss nationality, you will often need to obtain a work permit, tewerkstellingsvergunning (TWV), to work in the Netherlands.
In order to apply for a TWW, you need to submit an application to the Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen, UWV (Employee Insurance Agency). In addition, depending on the country the employee is from, to travel to the Netherlands, they will need to apply for a Schengen Visa in their country. Again, whether you need just a TWW or both a TWW and a Schengen Visa will depend on the country of origin of the employee.

If the employee does possess EU, EEA, or Swiss nationality, they can work and travel to the Netherlands. They will still need to meet certain conditions, like having a valid ID and a return or onward ticket.

More than 90 days in the Netherlands

If an employee does not have EU, EEA, or Swiss nationality and is working in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, they will often first need authorization for a temporary stay, an MVV (machtiging tot voorlopig verblijf), which is valid for 90 days. Secondly, they will need a combined residence and work permit, GVVA (gecombineerde vergunning voor verblijf en arbeid), which involves submitting a single application. An application needs to be submitted by the employer both for the MVV and GVVA through the IND on behalf of the employee. This application is also known as a Toegang- en Verblijf, TEV (admission and residence) application.

Note In the special cases where the work is temporary and cannot be done by a worker already resident in the Netherlands, the employee may not need a TWW but a residence permit issued within the International Trade Regulation framework. For this type of permit, several conditions must be met, and the UMW needs to be contacted.

Once again, for EU, EEA, or Swiss nationals, a permit or visa is not required, but the conditions should be checked. All in all, each case is very unique, so we would recommend referencing official resources.



Are you relocating talent to the Netherlands and need support? Here at Jimble Destination Service Provider, we offer tailored services every step of the way for a seamless and smooth relocation process, including immigration.
Contact us today to discuss with one of our specialists.

Didn’t find what you were looking for?

Every company, every employer and employee, and therefore every experience, is unique. This is something we thoroughly understand. It has been inspiring and insightful working with different businesses and the migrating.

Related articles

Nov, 08 2023

The Role of Global Mobility in Diversity and Inclusion


Oct, 12 2023

Expanding your business internationally? Here’s what you need to know


Sep, 12 2023

5 Ways to Reduce Employee Relocation Costs


Sep, 05 2023

How to relocate your employees or company to the Netherlands? A complete guide


Jun, 29 2023

Advantages of Corporate Housing when Relocating Employees


May, 25 2023

What Makes a Good Relocation Package: A Guide


Feb, 13 2023

The Netherlands is One of the Best Countries for Tech Companies


Jul, 11 2022

How Global Mobility Can Help the Dutch Labor Market


Jul, 07 2022

Language and Cultural Training for Expat Employees


May, 17 2022

Best Practices for Managing Relocation Budget and Costs